What Are The Best Ways To Stay Well During Flu Season?
Tips for Staying Healthy During Flu Season
As flu season begins in full swing, there are ways to avoid getting sick. The CDC recommends these preventative measures:
- The best way to stay healthy during flu season is to get your annual flu vaccination. This is proven to reduce the risk of flu-related illness, hospitalization, and even death.
- Keeping your distance from others when under the weather is good practice no matter the virus. If you experience flu symptoms, stay home to reduce spreading your illness to others.
- This virus most commonly spreads through droplets created during a cough or sneeze! Make sure to cover your mouth and nose.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. Try to do this before touching your eyes, mouth, or nose. Keeping hand sanitizer with you on the go can also be helpful.
- Keep your space clean and disinfect surfaces that are used frequently. This is especially important when someone in your household or workplace is sick.
- Drink plenty of water, exercise, and eat well. A healthy lifestyle can help effectively combat viruses.
Stay Active During Cold Weather With These Indoor Fitness Ideas
While summer makes it easy to get outside and get moving, the chillier months can pose a challenge when it comes to staying active.
If you’re struggling to keep up with your exercise routine this fall, try spicing things up with these three suggestions (Mayo Clinic):
- Try an at-home exercise video – A quick search on YouTube can bring you to countless guided workout videos, from weight lifting to yoga to core strengthening.
- Take a stroll while you shop for the holidays – With winter festivities just around the corner, many are already on the hunt for home decor, party supplies, and gifts. Give yourself a step goal and try to achieve it while you run these errands.
- Try a new gym or fitness studio – These indoor facilities can provide you with just as good a workout as a jog outdoors. For example, you might find that you enjoy swimming laps at the pool, working with the machines, or joining a group pilates class.
Integrating exercise into your week can help reduce stress, boost your mood, improve sleep quality, increase energy levels, and more. Watch this video from the Mayo Clinic for tips on staying motivated to exercise on a regular basis.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, approximately 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with this cancer in her lifetime. Fortunately, healthy lifestyle practices and early detection can help prevent or treat this disease. Here are four ways to lower your risk in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month:
- Many symptoms are not noticeable without a screening from your doctor. Stay on top of regular preventative exams.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle with consistent exercise.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Know your family history and discuss any risk factors with your doctor.
9 Healthy Recipes For Fall
Nothing beats a warm meal on a chilly day. Check out these nutritious recipes that are perfect for the season:
- Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
- Kale and Apple Salad
- Carrot-Ginger Soup with Roasted Vegetables
- Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Baked Apple with Crisp Topping
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
- Seared Halibut with Brussels Sprout Hash
- Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Find these recipes on FoodNetwork.com!
Do you know a company or organization that would benefit from working with Empower Health?