Tackle Your New Year Resolutions With S.M.A.R.T. Goals
This Is Your Year!
With a brand new year ahead, many people use the month of January to consider ways they would like to be healthier. Mayo Clinic suggests creating S.M.A.R.T. goals to motivate and achieve sustainable change. They advise setting long-term goals first (such as losing a certain amount of weight) and then setting easier, attainable short-term goals (exercising for 30 minutes three times per week). Ideally, your short-term goals should help you accomplish your bigger goals in the long run.
Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals looks like the following:
- Specific: What am I going to do?
- Measurable: How will I track my progress?
- Achievable: What steps will I take to make this happen?
- Relevant: Is this important enough to me to want to do it?
- Time-framed: When will I do this?
A healthy lifestyle doesn’t happen overnight. By setting realistic goals, 2023 can be the year that you make positive change.
6 Ways To Improve Your Sleep Routine In 2023
According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, establishing a healthy sleep pattern is essential for overall wellness. Bad sleep habits can affect your mental, emotional, and even physical health, making it crucial to practice a steady sleep routine. Follow these tips to improve your nightly slumber:
- Get enough sleep each night – Aim for at least 7 to 8 hours of good quality rest.
- Create a consistent sleep schedule – Try and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
- Establish a routine to wind down – This can relax your mind and body, making it easier to fall asleep.
- Put away electronics 30 minutes before bed – Exposure to blue-ray light can make it more difficult to fall asleep. This will also make it easier to stop scrolling your phone or watching TV late into the night.
- Minimize your caffeine intake – Stick to morning coffee or tea, moderating the amount of caffeine you consume during afternoons and evenings.
- Exercise regularly – This healthy habit can tire you out and help you sleep more soundly.
Watch this video from the Mayo Clinic to learn more about the effects of sleep deprivation on your overall health.
The Life-Saving Benefits of Donating Blood
Each January, the American Red Cross presents National Blood Donor Month. This initiative aims to educate people on the benefits of donating blood. Check out these important facts about blood donations and consider becoming a donor:
- Someone in the U.S. is in need of a blood or platelet donation every two seconds.
- In the U.S., there is a demand of approximately 29,000 units of red blood cells daily.
- Blood type O is the most commonly requested blood type at hospitals.
- One singular donation has the ability to save a life (or multiple lives!)
Source: American Red Cross
These Healthy Meals Are Perfect For Weekdays
The below tasty dishes can be a healthy option for dinner on a weeknight. Pack the leftovers for lunch!
- Sweet and Sour Couscous-Stuffed Peppers
- Air Fryer Parmesan Chicken with Broccoli
- Roasted Salmon Tacos
- Italian Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- Grilled Chicken with Roasted Kale
- Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Lemon, Basil, and Salmon
- ‘Light’ Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Garden Vegetable Soup
- Tex-Mex Chicken Quinoa
- Lemon-Herb Rice Salad
Find these recipes on FoodNetwork.com!
Do you know a company or organization that would benefit from working with Empower Health?