Make The Most Of The Holidays: Tips For Staying Healthy & Stress-Free
Coping With Stress And Anxiety During Winter
From hosting family to managing a busy schedule, the holidays can often feel overwhelming rather than filled with cheer. Care for your mental and emotional well-being with the tips below (Mayo Clinic):
- Create a budget – Being financially prepared for the holidays can reduce stress. Before you shop for gifts or supplies for a gathering, make a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending.
- Don’t be afraid to say no – If you’re feeling stretched thin with a jam-packed schedule, it can be difficult to enjoy time with loved ones. Set realistic boundaries and be comfortable saying no.
- Avoid procrastination – There is nothing more stressful than scrambling for gifts or ingredients at the last minute! Planning ahead helps everything go smoothly and reduces anxiety.
- Find community – If you’re feeling lonely during the holidays, seek out community with friends, a local event, a religious gathering, or a volunteer opportunity.
6 Tips For Staying Healthy This Holiday Season
With the holidays just around the corner, many are preparing to enjoy time with friends and family. These tips from the CDC can help you stay healthy this season:
- Help prevent the spread of germs – Wash your hands well with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds. If you’re feeling sick, avoid close contact with others.
- Follow the rules of the road – With many people traveling for the holidays, and the potential for bad weather, it is vital to wear a seatbelt in the car. Always avoid drinking and driving.
- Bundle up – As it gets colder, dress appropriately for low temperatures. Layers are key! This can reduce your chance of getting sick.
- Be mindful of fire safety – Don’t leave fireplaces, candles, space heaters, or stoves unattended.
- Keep moving – It can be easy to let fitness fall by the wayside during wintertime. Stay in shape with at-home workouts or indoor activities.
- Stay up-to-date on vaccinations – Winter is when viruses like the cold, flu, and COVID-19 are prevalent. Talk to your doctor about receiving any vaccinations you are due for this season.
Watch this video from the Mayo Clinic for more information on staying healthy this winter.
Your Guide To Food Safety This Season
It’s the most wonderful time of the year… for eating! To avoid food-related illness and make the most of your delicious meal, follow these safety practices below (CDC):
- Keep meat separate from other foods when transporting groceries home from the store and when storing these items in your kitchen.
- Always wash your hands when preparing food.
- Use a food thermometer to ensure that food is thoroughly cooked.
- Use pasteurized eggs when recipes call for raw eggs.
- When preparing turkey, make sure it is thawed properly.
- Store leftovers correctly. Don’t let food sit out too long!
10 Healthy & Festive Recipes
From appetizers to desserts, these delicious recipes are perfect for the holidays:
- ‘Slim’ Green Bean Casserole
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate and Hazelnuts
- Salmon with Lemon, Capers, and Rosemary (Gluten-Free)
- Scallop and Shrimp Cocktail
- Eggplant Ricotta Bites
- Warm Spinach Salad
- Low-Fat Eggnog
- ‘Light’ Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake
- Healthy No-Bake Chocolate-Peanut Butter Bars
- Almond Snowball Cookies
Find these recipes on FoodNetwork.com!
Do you know a company or organization that would benefit from working with Empower Health?