At the start of a new year, many of us make new resolutions.
As you reflect on what you would like to change in 2021, it’s important to remember that it’s okay to start small! Integrating little healthy changes into your week is what lays the foundation for long-term success.
A study by the American Heart Association (AHA) concludes that there are five lifestyle habits adults should follow in order to lead a long, healthy life. Adults practicing these five habits are more likely to live a decade longer than those who do not.
According to the American Heart Association, the five healthy lifestyle habits are as follows:
Keep a healthy body weight
Maintain a nutritious diet
Moderate alcohol intake
In addition to the practices recommended by the AHA, we’re rounding up 20 habits to consider integrating into your routine!
1. Stand up and take a two-minute walk for every hour that you spend sitting
2. Whether it’s taking the stairs or taking a stroll to the store, walk whenever you can (AHA Healthy Habit)
3. Commit to doing something that makes you laugh, such as catching up with a friend or watching your favorite sitcom
4. Limit the amount of alcohol you drink (AHA Healthy Habit)
5. Stay smoke-free (AHA Healthy Habit)
6. Focus less on dieting and strive to maintain a healthy weight (AHA Healthy Habit)
7. Learn how to read nutrition labels (AHA Healthy Habit)
8. Drink plenty of water by keeping your water bottle with you
9. Be proactive and schedule your annual health appointments
10. Work towards getting at least 7 hours of sleep each night
11. Read a new book, learn a new language, or go one weekend without spending money
12. Carve out weekly time to see family or friends
13. Volunteer within your community or give back to a good cause
14. Actively think about something that brings you joy
15. Make time for yourself, even when your schedule is busy
16. Keep an accountability journal to track the progress of your goals
17. Practice meditation, yoga, or another method that can calm your mind
18. Give at least one compliment a day
19. Think of three things you are grateful for each morning
20. Reward yourself for your accomplishments!
What healthy habits are you striving to accomplish in 2021? Tell us in the comments below!