Sustainable Ways To Improve Your Everyday Wellness
6 Easy Ways to Improve Your Everyday Wellness
Happy New Year! By now, you probably have a few 2022 resolutions up your sleeve. Are you vowing to eat better? Committing to going to the gym five times a week? Whatever your wellness goals are, it’s important to remember that starting small can help you realistically create change.
Here are 6 small ways you can improve your daily routine:
- If you feel that your diet isn’t as balanced as it should be, start by adding fruit or veggies to every single meal throughout your day.
- If you lose motivation to work out, start small. Try a 15-minute session for the first few days and then work up to 30 minutes.
- Turn off screens – such as the TV or your phone – at least 30 minutes before you go to bed. Doing this can help increase your sleep quality.
- Start taking a multivitamin if you don’t already. Multivitamins can help provide your body with essential nutrients and minerals.
- Carve out time to yourself each week. This time can be dedicated to working on a hobby, practicing a sport or instrument, reading a book, or catching up with friends.
- Avoid snacks that are high in sugar or saturated fats during the workday. Snacking smartly (and healthily) can help you stay focused and productive.
The Importance of Thyroid Awareness Month
The American Thyroid Association defines the thyroid gland as “a butterfly-shaped endocrine gland that is normally located in the lower front of the neck.” The hormones produced by the thyroid circulate through the blood and are essential to making energy, regulating body temperature, and keeping important organs healthy.
January is Thyroid Awareness Month, dedicated to understanding the importance of thyroid health and the signs of thyroid issues. Both hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid, producing too many hormones) and hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid, producing too few hormones) can be harmful to your health.
One way to check for thyroid issues is through self-examination to see if there are any lumps or bumps near the thyroid. This video from the Cleveland Clinic walks through steps for completing a self-examination.
To learn more about thyroid health, visit thyroid.org.
What snacks should I eat during the workday?
There is nothing worse than crashing from too much caffeine or too much sugar when you need to stay focused. Here are a few healthy snack options to fuel your productivity during the workday:
- Lightly-salted popcorn
- Carrots and hummus
- Apples with peanut butter
- Protein bites
- Low-fat yogurt
Heart-Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Click the links below to access breakfast recipes that will start your day right:
- Banana Pancakes
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Spinach & Egg Scramble
- Mango Raspberry Smoothie
- Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
- Old-Fashioned Oatmeal
- Breakfast Pizza
- Asparagus-Mushroom Frittata
- Berry-Banana Cauliflower Smoothie
Do you know a company or organization that would benefit from working with Empower Health?