Make the Most Of Your Summer With These Wellness Tips
Make The Most of Your Summer With 4 Essential Wellness Tips
There is a reason that we all love summertime. It brings us sunny weather, the ability to be outdoors, and often a little more free time. When enjoying the warmer months, implement these tips from the CDC to ensure your summer is a healthy season!
- Get outside and boost your fitness level: Not only does spending time outdoors provide our body with essential vitamins and improve our mental health, but it can also make it easier to get moving. Go for a bike ride, a jog, or a long walk, and enjoy a host of health benefits during summer.
- Protect your skin in the sun: While getting fresh air is necessary, we also want to be mindful of the sun’s impact on our skin. When outside for long durations, wear SPF 15+ sunblock and bring protective clothing to help shield your skin from sun-ray exposure.
- Use insect repellent: Unfortunately, warm weather means an increase in bugs. To prevent mosquito bites and ticks, use insect repellent and appropriate clothing. If you have pets, check them for ticks as well after being outside.
- Stay hydrated: Up your water intake when in the heat!
Why Do We Need Vitamins?
A healthy diet is the best way to obtain essential vitamins. These vitamins help keep our body functioning properly, from brain health to bone growth to an efficient immune system. Learn about the health benefits of vitamins A, B, C and D below (Medline Plus):
Vitamin A promotes the following:
- Bone growth
- Healthy teeth
- Proper cell function
- Tissue health
- Skin health
Vitamin B promotes the following:
- The production of red blood cells
- Increased brain function
- Healthy metabolism
- Healthy nervous system
Vitamin C promotes the following:
- Healthy teeth and gums
- Absorption of iron
- Tissue health
- Proper healing from injury and infection
Vitamin D promotes the following:
- Absorption of calcium
Vitamin D is primarily made by the body after exposure to sunlight, and is also found in some foods. To learn more about vitamin D, watch this video from the Mayo Clinic.
Stay Active In The Great Outdoors
It’s the best time of year to get moving! Enjoy summer and promote good health with the activities below:
- Visit a local park, path, or forest preserve
- Swim laps at a pool
- Catch up with friends over a walk
- Participate in an outdoor yoga class
- Join a walk for a good cause (such as a 5k)
- Go for a bike ride
- Get your steps in by exploring a downtown district or shopping area
- Gather your coworkers or friends for a recreational sports league
- Plan a hiking trip
11 Refreshing Recipes For Summertime
It’s officially the time of year to eat outside with friends and family. These delicious and health-conscious recipes are the perfect way to ring in summer!
Source: Food Network
Do you know a company or organization that would benefit from working with Empower Health?