April 1, 2020News
What is COVID-19?
- COVID-19 is a type of coronavirus that causes an infection that has now spread all over the world. It is new and hasn’t been seen in people before. And for some people, it can become serious and dangerous.
- It can cause fever, cough, and trouble breathing. In severe cases, it can cause pneumonia, and make it hard to breathe without help. It can even cause death.
How is it spread?
- COVID-19 spreads person to person through droplets from coughing and sneezing.
- It can also spread by touching something that has the virus on it such as a doorknob, light switches, phone, or a tabletop.
- Most people only have mild symptoms or even none at all. People who are very sick are treated in the hospital.
- Symptoms include: fever, cough, shortness of breath. If you are having symptoms, call your doctor to discuss being tested.
- Even if you don’t feel sick right now, it’s important to protect yourself and others from getting sick and spreading the infection.
Here’s what you can do.
- Limit where you go in your community. If you do need to go out, practice social distancing. Keep a space of 6 feet between yourself and others. Avoid gatherings of people.
- Stay home to avoid people who may be infected. Ask for people not to visit you.
- Don’t shake hands with anyone.
- Practice good hygiene. Wash your hands often and well, especially after you cough or sneeze.
- Use soap and water, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes. Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces daily.
- If you are sick, stay away from others. Sleep in a separate room, and don’t share household items such as towels, dishes and glasses. Wear a face mask when you’re around other people. If you need care, call your doctor.
- No traveling!